[mythtv-users] New frontend, possible secondary backend use

James Thorpe james at pawsforthorpe.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 10:32:12 UTC 2011

Hi List,

I have a primary backend with 2 DVB-S2 PCI cards in it, along with a
Revo running a frontend running one of my TVs.  Currently the second
(larger) tv is in another part of the house with an old sky box running
it.  With the recent announcement of F1 2011 in HD, it's provided me
with extra impetus to get on with pulling network cables around the new
house - including to the other TV.  I've not had any problems with my
revo - indeed it was running the larger TV in our old house, so I'd
quite happily stick another one in there and use it.

However - as mentioned that TV currently has an old sky box on it - ie
there's a satellite feed.  It seems to make sense that at some point it
might be worth hooking that up as a 3rd tuner - but obviously there's no
space in a revo for a pci card :)  Has anyone got any experience with
USB DVB-S2 tuners (in the UK especially) with Myth?  Alternatively, do
any HDHR-like devices exist for DVB-S/2 - I think there was talk a while
back of a new one supporting DVB-T but terrestrial reception around here
is useless - I'm hoping the digital switchover might fix that later this
year...!

I'm on 0.23-Fixes on mythbuntu currently, but am planning on a full
upgrade to 0.24 this weekend.

Cheers,
James.