[mythtv-users] locked into a multirec during LiveTV when a recording starts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 21 18:24:22 UTC 2011

  On 01/21/2011 11:07 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 10:37, Dave Richardson wrote:
>> I have enabled multirec on my HDHRs.  Because I have scheduled more
>> recordings, I find that I am having more conflicts between watching
>> LiveTV and getting pinched into the multi-rec group when I attempt to
>> change channels in LiveTV.
>
> When you enter LiveTV, you choose the first available tuner.  If that
> tuner is a virtual tuner tied to an in-use physical tuner, so be it.
> Use the NEXTCARD keybinding, or the OSD menu option, to switch to a
> completely free tuner, or a virtual tuner locked to a different
> multiplex.
>
> Alternatively, there is an option to 'avoid conflicts with livetv',
> which causes LiveTV to choose the last available tuner, with the
> assumption that will be the least likely to already be locked to a
> multiplex.

See, also,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/369358#369358 .  Read
the whole thing and use the (now-tested) approach at the end if you want
to waste physical tuners on Live TV.  (And note that that post provides
much of the info necessary to understand exactly why we can't default to
the tuner-wasting approach you desire--and, yes, even though MythTV will
tell Live TV users when it needs their tuner for recordings, using a
physical tuner solely for Live TV in a multirec-capable configuration is
still wasting the tuner since it will affect allocation of other virtual
tuners.)

Mike