[mythtv-users] Failing hardware & FE/BE replacement feedback

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Sat Jan 22 00:53:55 UTC 2011

I've been given initial management go ahead to look at a replacement
Combinded FE/BE due to the current motherboard failing (it was secondhand
when I got it) basically it just freezes during high network load (ie
transfering video files via the onboard sky2 gigabit network card) initially
the issue started with just the network failing (required ifdown eth0
followed by ifup eth0 to restore) but probably due to upgrading the network
switch to gigabit its now escalating the issue to full system freezes.

When the issue occurs there is nothing in the logs which makes me think the
motherboard is failing?

Anyway I have a Core 2 Duo CPU laying around unused would I be better off
using this or go the whole hog and upgrade to i5 or i7 and possibly get more
cores for transcoding & commflagging etc (will keep the nvidia GT240 for
video decoding)

Also the LGA775 boards I've seen only have 4 or 5 Sata ports so having
possibly more on the i5/i7 board is also a plus :) and any power savings are
a bonus but not required.

Please if you have any recommendations let me know.

Cheers,

Anthony