[mythtv-users] Frontend hangs on "Watch TV" - recorded programs OK

Larry Johnson keepitsimpleengineer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 20:33:40 UTC 2011

Can no longer watch television using "Watch TV" (Live TV).   This
after 3 weeks of unattended operation while I was away.

I can, however, record shows and watch as they are recorded.

Both frontends (one on the same computer as the backend and one
remote) exhibit the same behavior. They freeze/hang at the "please
wait…" interim screen and the frontends become unresponsive and have
to be killed with a SIGTERM or a restart.  htop shows low CPU activity
with multiple mythfrontend.real subprocess running.

Nothing seems amiss in the frontend or backend logs.

Live TV works fine on Windows 7 64bit Media Center when run in place
of Mythbuntu on the local machine.

Ubuntu 10.10, mythtv fixes/0.24 (v0.24-112-g40df4b6),  fixes/0.24
(v0.24-113-g90fe13c)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 dual tuner with drivers from kernellabs,
nvidia GT240, AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache and
on local; GT260, Intel Core™2  Quad 8M L2 Cache 2.67 GHz 1066 MHz FSB
on remote.

I have reinstalled both frontends and the backend, to no avail

I could use some suggestions for debugging or fixing this annoyance. Thanks...

L Johnson