[mythtv-users] 1 FE and 2 separate BE-FE

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 15:56:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 06:00 -0800, rawgarlic at gmail.com wrote:
> We just need to be able to watch any available content from X or Y at
> any given time, in room 3.

Hi;

Short answer, yes you can do this.  You did say watch X /OR/ Y. I've
never watched X /AND/ Y at the same time.

Assuming system X is already working, create a second .mythtv directory
(for example .mythtv-Y) in the same directory your existing .mythtv
lives under.

Then in a script that launches mythfrontend for system Y, use the
following before starting it:

  export MYTHCONFDIR=~/.mythtv-mbe or
  export MYTHCONFDIR=/home/${USER}/.mythtv-Y

That way, mysql.txt and config.xml etc. can have the information about
system Y that is different from system X.

I used this while setting up and testing a system for a friend.

Bill