[mythtv-users] Another BBC HD Audio variance.......

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jan 24 19:16:08 UTC 2011

On 24/01/11 17:51, Andre wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2011, at 15:23, Another Sillyname wrote:
>
>> I recorded Being Human on Sunday Night at 9:00pm on the BBC HD
>> channel, recorded from Freesat and the audio is being reported as...
>>
>> Stream 0.14 AC3 48000 Hz 5.0 s16 384 kb/s
>>
>> Note the 5.0 rather then 5.1 audio,
>>
>> I can't remember ever seeing a 5.0 audio stream on the BBC HD before.
>
> I've seen it too often!
>

>> Anyone else notice it?  Anyone have any problems with it?
>
> No problem now, in the past it's caused (or at least co-incident with) un-decodable ac3, comes out as motor boating or load gurgling noises!
>
> I had it on the final part of Torchwood Children of Earth, three separate recordings, ended up listening to the audio description channel! As it was identical each time it was aired I suspect a mistake when the show was ingested. I reported it on Andy Quested's bbc blog but he never said anything beyond noting that there had been some issues, now resolved.
>
> At the time neither myth or PS3 could play the recording with working audio, both seem able to deal with this particular issue now, I kept an old recording.
>
>> There's a repeat on later in the week so I'll record that to see if it
>> reports the same.
>
> I've seen this on 6 or 7 shows over the last year or two and in each case it's been the same on the re-runs.
>
> Andre

On a vaguely related note, I reported last week that the first episode
of 'Human Planet' on BBC ONE SD claimed to be in surround sound.  There
were suggestions that it might be Dolby Pro-Logic.  I didn't set up more
speakers to listen for a difference, but the second episode just carried
the usual 'stereo' tag.

John P