[mythtv-users] hdhomerun vs. capture cards: is it even a contest?

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Mon Jan 24 22:58:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Evuraan <evuraan at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

I replaced my two pcHDTV-5500 PCI tuner cards with an HDHomeRun about
a year ago.  The PCI cards were quite painful to get going originally,
but once I did so, they were reasonably reliable.  The main reason I
switched was because I had to consolidate my master backend into a
combined FE/BE machine and it had only one PCI slot, which I ended up
using for an old PVR-150 connected to the cable-supplied STB for
getting all those encrypted channels that have already been mentioned.
 I don't consider this an "issue" with the HDHR at all though -- it's
an issue with the cable provider.

I would definitely recommend the HDHomeRun -- very easy to get going,
well supported, reliable...   If building a new system, this is the
way I'd go.