[mythtv-users] ongoing mythtv migration problems: how can I view my recordings?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Jan 25 04:53:22 UTC 2011

Curse the day I ever decided to migrate my mythbuntu installation to a new
machine without using clonezilla to just clone the old machine's disks to
the new. It's been nothing but one headache after another. Whether that's
owing to changes to mythtv since I set up the original system (about 3
years ago) or my own ineptness, I don't know. But I've tried everything I
can think of on this problem and cannot find the solution. Description of
the problem follows.

When I watch live TV on the newly-installed system, everything I watch
live gets saved to /var/lib/mythtv/live-tv. And it is only that
directory's contents, apparently, that are displayed when, using the
frontend, I go to media library > watch recordings. None of the content of
the /var/lib/mythtv/recordings directory which I copied over from the old
mythtv to the new, nor any new recording I've made on the new
system--which wind up in the recordings directory--are available when I
follow media library > watch recordings. I know it's a separate problem
that I cannot find old recordings from my previous myth box--something I
think I screwed up big time and will need to post about later--but I don't
see why I'm unable to access new recordings made on this new box.

I would appreciate any pointers anyone might give for straightening out
the problem of recordings going into a directory that seems inaccessible
from media library > watch recordings.

Thank you,
James