[mythtv-users] Surprise: cannot play some recordings in VLC

Brian K Boonstra myth at boonstra.org
Wed Jan 26 01:42:54 UTC 2011

Lately I've been playing my recordings in VLC rather than the frontend (basically due to bug 9223), and it has been working fine.  I use mythlink.pl, find the show I want to watch, and go.

This weekend I recorded (off US broadcast TV) the NFL games, though, and VLC will not play them.  MythFrontend _can_ play them so clearly the files are not corrupted, or at least not fatally so.

FWIW, I include below what VLC says about the file (and I'll note I am somewhat surprised at 720p rather than 1080i for a high-profile US broadcast).  Has anyone ever encountered a recorded broadcast the VLC won't play?  Is there some extension I need?

   -Brian

(Stream 1)
Type: 	Video
Orig ID:	49