[mythtv-users] Surprise: cannot play some recordings in VLC

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 26 18:15:41 UTC 2011

On 1/25/2011 10:14 PM, Brian K Boonstra wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
>
>> >  I haven't been able to play any recordings mythtv has made in VLC since 0.21 or so.  Something changed.  I think mythtv started tagging the files as TS files and VLC balks at that for some reason.  I record from and HDHR and a PVR250. The only thing that plays them, as far as I know, is media player classic and of course mythfrontend.
>> >

> VLC manages to play most of the recordings I make, just not these NFL games.  I happen to be running a development snapshot right now, though this was also true of my 0.24 installation.  You might want to give it another chance (not that my recent experience is necessarily encouraging :^P  )

I'm still running 0.21-fixes and have observed this too.  Some HDHR
recordings will play in VLC (and mplayer) and some won't.  What I have
discovered is that if I do a lossless transcode of the file, then it
will play fine in VLC and mplayer.  Try doing a lossless transcode of
the affected recordings.  Keep in mind, that if the recordings have been
comflagged, the commercials will be removed.

Jay