[mythtv-users] Stepper Directed HDTV Antenna

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Jan 26 21:27:20 UTC 2011

On 1/26/2011 16:06, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Erik Hovland wrote:
>> http://hackaday.com/2011/01/26/stepper-directed-hdtv-antenna/
>>
>> The last sentence in the paragraph throws down the gauntlet:
>> What we would like to see is this antenna attached to a HTPC,
>> and some kind of script to automatically direct the antenna
>> for the best possible signal for the current channel.
>
> I couldn't quite make out what they are doing here. Are they a) moving
> the antenna to use different transmitters for different channels, or
> b) moving it about to get the best signal from a specific transmitter.

This is for the former.  You have stations in multiple directions, and
you want to record off all of them.  This cannot be done reliably
without altering the code.  You would need the backend to support
channel changing scripts for digital tuners, to get the rotor in place
before trying to tune.  You probably could do something with the system
event scripts, having mythbackend call a script on recording start, but
you're likely to run into timing issues.