[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend (0.24) won't correctly play multichannel audio

Jim Cortez jim at jimcortez.com
Thu Jan 27 06:21:05 UTC 2011

Hey all,
     I just switched all my audio to go digital (cable optical->hdpvr
optical, computer hdmi->receiver hdmi). I used to have analog audio from
my cable box to hdpvr. My issue is now when I play newly-recorded video
(now with digital audio) with mythfrontend, I have missing sound
channels. I am mainly missing the front channels as I can rarely hear
any voices. When playing the same video through vlc, I can hear the
audio just fine. I included 2 logs in a pastebin below, first with the
bad digital audio and one with the good analog audio. Anyone have any
ideas what I can do here?
Thanks,
Jim

Logs: http://pastebin.com/JWPEX5Pr

Mythfrontend audio settings: (already scanned for audio devices after
update)
Audio output device: ALSA:default
Dolby Digital: check
DTS: check
Speaker config: 7.1
upconvert: unchecked

Version info:
$ mythfrontend --version
xprop:  unable to open display ''
MythTV Version   : v0.24-124-g95ecfdb
MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20101129-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
  linux debug using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_directfb using_dvb using_firewire
using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
using_live using_mheg