[mythtv-users] mpeg2 channels

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 01:37:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM, <david.scott.day at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday I did a rescan on my HVR-1600 for OTA ATSC and was pleased to
> find I have two ATSC new subchannels available, plus two new "Mpeg2"
> subchannels from our local PBS station.
>
> I am unfamiliar with these "Mpeg2" channels.  should they be usable?
> And if so how?

They're actually referred to by the scanner as MPEG channels, not MPEG2.  A
small but real distinction.  All this means is that the signalling on the
channel was such that the scanner was unable to determine whether the
channel was QAM/SCTE or DVB.  Because it lacks telltale characteristics of
one of these, it is referred to as an MPEG channel.  It means that there's a
chance that the channel is data only, but more likely it's a perfectly
normal, usable channel that lacks the hallmarks the scanner is looking for
to more specifically determine the channel type.  Add them, try them, and if
they work as normal, great.

Robert