[mythtv-users] After the crash: Mythdora or something else?

Anthony Korsman manak at primus.ca
Sat Jan 29 21:27:37 UTC 2011

Thanks everyone for your advice! I thought I'd give an update on what I did.
I looked over the various steps for cloning my LVM/disks on to the new
hardware and I guess I just got nervous about the unknown, as I had never
cloned a boot disk before. More importantly, I did not know how long the old
disk would last as it took  about  a dozen tries to get it to boot. I
decided copy the data and reinstall MythDora 12.23

In hind sight, I probably would have been better off following the advice
and done a clone, because as a minimum, I would of learned a few more
things..But it could not have been any worse.  :-)

Anyway, with the new hard disk formatted ext3 and mounted, I copied all the
video/recording and db onto a new disk. Ten hours later, I breathed I big
sigh of relief.

Time to re-install  MD 12.23!! It came up looking great and mostly
functional. (Mythdora is great for that!) The remote works, capture card is
working, the IR blaster from CommandIR is working. WOW! That was easy, we'll
be up and working by diner. Boy was I wrong.

Next, comes the nvidia drivers. I just grabbed them from Nvidia and started
the install. Not so quick.. There is no cc present. Ok. Time to yum gcc.
"All is well," I'm thinking "Start the nvidia install again"

Now the kernel source was missing. No problem, that's what yum is for.
Except, I could not find the kernel source for the installed version. So,
after searching everywhere, I thought I'd try a slightly newer version of
the source. Nvidia did not like that! (No surprise, but I'm trying not to
change anything!)

On top of that, the cable box is disconnected from the TV, and getting at
the cables will take half an hour of emptying a book shelf.  And now the WAF
is falling every time she walks by and sees the PVR in pieces on the floor
in front of the TV.  Definitely, she is not happy about the mess.

Back to the PVR. It's time to upgrade the kernel. Again, it's only a small
change. But a professor  of  mine was famous for saying, "There is no such
things as a small change" ie : small changes in software can have huge
impacts.  Oh well, take a deep breath.
    yum update kernel
And it rebooted fine.  Install the nvidia driver. All is well in the world.

Now, we just got to get sound. How hard could that be. Well, the mplayer
works, fine, vlc works fine. But nothing from mythtv. Check the logs and I
find this:
    "Mixer unable to find control PCM"
WTF!  A number of reports, but no clear solution that I could see. And after
trying all the possible fixes, that did not work. I went back to what was
working before: spdif via my reciever

I try a number of different things with no success getting sound via the
spdif/reciever from mythtv, vlc, or mplayer. WAF is gone. And now my 11 year
old daughter, with big puppy dog eyes, is wondering if she can ever watch TV
again. The sofa is looking like a good place to sleep at this point :-)
Anyway, for some reason, I thought, "Do I have a good connection?"
 I don't know why I thought that, but I'm glad I did. There was no software
solution needed. I just needed to plug the spdif cable in!
Yah, that's embarrassing. I guess it got pulled when the new drive went in.

WAF is back!

Later..
AK