[mythtv-users] Change brightness during playback

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sun Jan 30 06:22:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 February 2010 21:33, David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have looked all through the settings pages and can't find any
>> reference to the above.
>
> Dave
>
> You need Setup->TV Settings->Playback.
>
> The first screen should have an option to 'Enable picture controls'.
> Once you've enabled this and IF it is supported on your combination of
> video output method, video card and driver, then F should toggle
> between the settings during playback or they can be accessed by
> bringing up the OSD menu (M).
>
> You should be fine with OpenGL, VDPAU and usually XVideo (xv-blit) playback.
>
> regards
>
> Mark

Sorry for the old thread, but I think it may apply to this query...

I've searched high and low and can not find the "default" values for
Brightness, Contrast, Hue, etc.  For better or worse, I've had it
enabled on my very low quality SD setup for the past few years.  Now
that I've gone HDMI with VDPAU, I'd like to start over (and hopefully
not change it).  My picture quality is currently not great during
playback (recording, video, or LiveTV), even after I improved it
noticeably by lowering the brightness down to 42 so that at least the
blacks weren't gray.  But the colors are not anywhere near as vibrant
as they should be.

I tried disabling 'Enable picture controls,' but that does not appear
to do anything (i.e., it seems like once you enable it, you are stuck
with it enabled forever, which I think is what is described in this
 I understand that this functionality has changed on trunk, but I
can't subject the kid and wife units to that.

I'm running a GT 430 with VDPAU 256.53 (I've seen mutiple people
talking about 260 not being the most stable, or at least, it wasn't in
the past).

Thank you!

   Marc