[mythtv-users] Fedora 14, lirc woes

Jeremy Enos jenos at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Jan 31 09:56:25 UTC 2011

On 1/30/2011 6:13 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Jeremy Enos wrote:
>
>> I tried this kernel, and no change.  Of course, I probably don't have something configured properly yet.  In /etc/sysconfig/lirc I don't have any driver specified, because lircd -H help doesn't return mceusb as an item in the list (even with the new kernel you provided a link to).  So I'm now ready for any new suggestions.  :)
> The "drivers" in lircd talk are "interface between hardware and lircd". The "default"
> lircd driver is the one used to talk to hardware via the lirc kernel character device
> interface, which is accessed via /dev/lircX. So "default" is the correct *lircd* driver
> for talking to the mceusb *kernel* driver via the lirc device interface.
>
> Does mode2 spit out any data when you push buttons on your remote? i.e., lets first
> see if any data is getting out to userspace at all. If you could pastebin that output
> (assuming there is some) and your active lircd.conf, I'll see what I can see.
>
> And please, list etiquette here is not to top-post.

>>> There are some lingering mceusb driver issues in 2.6.35.10-74 that are fixed
>>> in a later build, so I'd suggest trying this kernel:
>>>
>>> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.35.10/81.fc14/

Eureka.  Setting the driver to default was all I needed to do.  (irw,
mythtv now responding)  Feels silly having had to ask now, but I could
not find any instruction to do that anywhere.  Perhaps "default" should
actually be the default driver setting in /etc/sysconfig/lirc?  (If it's
universally applicable beyond mceusb of course)
Sorry about the top post earlier.  Regular mail preferences set at odds
w/ list mail- always forgetting.
thanks so much for the help!

     Jeremy

p.s.  I had mentioned snow in the video with some earlier Nvidia drivers
back in December- I got a chance to test with the latest driver since
then and you were right- all is good again.