[mythtv-users] FW: Help understand the interface of Myth Media & Video Gallery

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jan 31 10:49:15 UTC 2011

On 31 Jan 2011, at 09:03, John Pilkington wrote:

> It seems clear that the basic problem here was that the OP became frustrated because he wasn't fully au fait with the way permissions work in his system, and the error messages he received from Myth didn't alert him to this as a likely problem.  It sounds as if mythtv-setup will be modified to make it more friendly and maybe wiki entries will eventually be updated to be both friendly and correct.
>
> But he also reported an unhelpful response from  'sudo chown' and, later, that the apparently successful changes he had made had been spontaneously reverted.
>
>> I typed the following in the terminal " sudo chown -R mythtv:mythtv
>> /media/Store/Recordings"
>>
>> And I got the following error - Missing operand after mythtv
>> /media/Store/Recordings
>>

> I haven't used sudo, but its man page clearly isn't designed for the newbie: is the response above to be expected given the likely default settings for sudo?  I imagine that su would have worked?

That was my suggestion, sounds like it was typed as two separate lines, maybe I should have been clearer! I certainly had no idea how to explain this in the gui as I rarely use it, takes too long.

> And is the non-stick behaviour likely to be linked to this comment from jedi?
>
>>   /media seems like an odd place be putting your files.
>>
>>   This is generally where Ubuntu mounts removable media.

Yes, anything mounted on /media is subject to system daemons imposing their will on your permissions, I have spent many hours attempting (and failing) to make any modifications to this behaviour. Try getting mythexport to copy files to an ntfs disk that the gui mounted for you...

I'm currently helping a friend get Myth running the way he wants, he's a long term Linux cli user since the early days of Debian and even he is tripping up on all sorts of things, mostly finding stuff in the labyrinthine gui but that's ok he used to play Zork all the time. ;-)

None of this setup stuff is easy for anyone, it is getting a lot better though and I'm hopeful that the new web setup approach will be another big step forward.

Andre