[mythtv-users] Failing hardware & FE/BE replacement feedback

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 12:12:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> On 22 January 2011 10:53, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
>       I've been given initial management go ahead to look at a replacement Combinded FE/BE due to the current motherboard failing (it was secondhand when I
>       got it) basically it just freezes during high network load (ie transfering video files via the onboard sky2 gigabit network card) initially the issue
>       started with just the network failing (required ifdown eth0 followed by ifup eth0 to restore) but probably due to upgrading the network switch to
>       gigabit its now escalating the issue to full system freezes.
>
>       When the issue occurs there is nothing in the logs which makes me think the motherboard is failing?
>
>       Anyway I have a Core 2 Duo CPU laying around unused would I be better off using this or go the whole hog and upgrade to i5 or i7 and possibly get
>       more cores for transcoding & commflagging etc (will keep the nvidia GT240 for video decoding)
>
>       Also the LGA775 boards I've seen only have 4 or 5 Sata ports so having possibly more on the i5/i7 board is also a plus :) and any power savings are a
>       bonus but not required.
>
>       Please if you have any recommendations let me know.
>
> No one has any suggestions or advice?

Quality LGA775 boards seem to be getting thin on the ground. I ordered a
Q8500 + Asus P5Q SE Plus for a new MythTV box from a major UK online vendor
just before Christmas, only for the mobo to go from 'ordered on request' to
'discontinued' after they'd already sent the CPU and memory.  I ended up
returning those and ordering an i5-760, DDR3 and an Asus P7H55 instead.
Works fine with MythTV and Fedora 14, including the VIA VT1760S sound (which
looked a bit iffy from googling beforehand).

HTH,
Alex