[mythtv-users] Multirec and recording earlystart/latefinish preferences?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Jan 31 15:20:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 07:42:30PM -0800, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Another Sillyname <
> Think maybe you meant for this to be on the users list?

Robert is right.  This is a users question, so I'm replying there.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 03:40:31AM +0000, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I've noticed recently, even though I've got 4 physical DVB-T tuners,
> each running with 2 channel multirec, so 8 virtual tuners, that my
> recording rules seem to be running unlike the way I would expect them
> to, specifically.
>
> I happen to have 4 simultaneous recordings happening that are using
> tuners thus:-
>
> Terr1/1 - Program 1
> Terr1/2 - Uncommitted
> Terr2/1 - Program 2
> Terr2/2 - Uncommitted
> Terr3/1 - Program 3
> Terr3/2 -Uncommitted
> Terr4/1 - Program 4
> Terr4/2 - Uncommitted
>
> This is the behaviour I would expect, however Program 2 on Terr2/1 has
> a late finish of 5 minutes programmed into it and the immediate
> following program (Program 5) on the same channel has a 5 minute early
> start programmed.  This means there's a 10 minute overlap.  However
> the scheduler instead of using say Terr2/2 to record Program 5 (which
> by definition must be on the same Mux as Program 2 as it follows it on
> the same channel) instead is choosing to record a later showing.

There are probably any number of things that could cause this.
Without more inofrmation, though, I won't even hazard a guess.  At a
minimum, please provide the settings values you are using from the
"Scheduler Options" screen and the output from "mythbackend
--printsched".  The output from "mythbackend -v schedule --testsched"
could also be useful.

> I think I've seen situations before where programs with built in
> latefinish times are 'cut short' to accommodate 'earlystart' times of
> the following program instead of using the available Multirec tuner on
> the same Mux to record both the latefinish program fully and also
> record the earlystart program fully.

You are using your own terminology that I don't understand.  With
MythTV, there are two related concepts -- start-early/end-late and
preroll/postroll.  Start-early/end-late are hard offsets that the
scheduler will always honor, even at the expense of not recording
something else.  Preroll/postroll are soft offsets that are used
opportunistically when possible.  There is a setting that tries to
make it more likely preroll/postroll are used, but there are no
guarantees.

> Is there a specific reason for this or is it the way the logic in the
> scheduler is working?

David
--
David Engel