[mythtv-users] UK commflagging script

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:56:02 UTC 2011

On 31/01/2011 10:56, Alex Butcher wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I took it upon myself to hack
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silence-detect.sh>
> into something practical that can actually be used to commflag UK TV
> recordings. The results of my hacking can be found at
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythcommflag-wrapper>.
>
> Improvements and suggestions welcome.
>
> Best Regards,
> Alex

Interesting.  I've given it a go.  It seems to have worked nicely on
tonights showing of How Do They Do It? on Five.  I also ran it against a
2hr episode of Rude Tube from E4 and it seems to have generated a cut
list with numerous breaks - though I've not watched that one yet.

The only thing is that it doesn't generate a commercial skip list, it
generates a cut list.  I guess this kind of doesn't matter unless it
gets something wrong, then it's quite tedious to correct because you
have to go in and edit the cut list rather that just jump back and then
ff over the advert manually.  Also I quite like the "Advert 4m30"
message that pops up, then I just need to press skip to jump past it (or
turn on autoskip).  Also, if you have a commerical skip list then you
can use it to skip past the 3mins of the program before at the beginning
(I overrun both ends of recordings to account for timing differences).

I see that mythcommflag has an option --getskiplist, but no
--setskiplist (shame :-( )

I'm assuming also that this script wont work on in-progress recordings?
  But I guess thats not too important really.

So far it seems to work better than the built in advert detection ever
has for me so I'll try it on a few more channels in the next few days
and see how it gets on.

Good work so far though.

Cheers,
Robert.