[mythtv-users] IR transmitter help

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sun Jul 3 14:18:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Kyle Gordon <kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com> wrote:
> Isn't the point here that an IR flash would be obscured by the already
> visible _visible light_ flash?

Yes, that's it exactly.  I'm well versed in using digital cameras to
detect IR flashes, as I wrote in my original post:

     I tried swapping the emitter with the one
     from my old TiVo, which has the same size jack,
     but when I do that I don't see it blinking either
     visibly or in the IR (on a digital camera display).

This technique works well with an emitter that doesn't also emit a
"surprisingly bright" visible light flash.  The TiVo emitter doesn't
blink visibly, so I can verify that that one doesn't work, but I don't
know if that's because of a hardware fault or a compatibility problem.

My questions to this list are:

Has anyone tried substituting a TiVo IR emitter into an HP mceusb unit
and had it work?

What are the most likely causes for this problem?  Given that the
emitter is blinking, could there still be a software configuration
problem?  If it's a hardware problem, should I just buy a new IR
emitter, or replace the whole thing?  If I buy a new emitter, are
there voltage or other compatibility differences I need to look out
for?

Eric