[mythtv-users] Upgrade Suggestions - currently on myth 0.21 with PVR150, 250, 350

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Jul 4 11:56:31 UTC 2011

On 11-07-02 10:46 PM, James Pifer wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 22:34 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
..
>> You've already got the best analog tuners for MythTV.
>> Just find a mobo with enough PCI slots so that you can continue using them all.
>>
>> A bigger concern is keeping your remote control (whatever it is) working.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> what is the issue with the remote? My frontends have usb receivers and
> using hauppauge remotes.
>
> Are there any decent external tuners for analog tv? I agree, my tuners
> have been very good for a long time...just concerned about the
> occasional bad recordings we've been having. I hope the cards are ok.

In my experience, only my PVR-250 card works correctly nearly 99% of
the time with mythtv.  The other analog tuners I have tried, not many mind you,
all have issues with 0.24(-fixes).

Specifically, the analog out from the HVR-950Q used to work very well
on older versions of Mythtv, but now doesn't work at all for me here.
Ditto for the (excellent) ConvertX USB tuner/encoder, as well as the
early version HVR-1600 card I have here.

There may be other cards that do work as well, but those are the ones
with which I have direct and extensive experience.

As for the remote control, there have been a ton of non-backward compatible
changes to how IR is handled in the Linux kernel.  So if/when you upgrade
your system, you'll likely have to battle to get your existing remote(s)
working again as well as they did before.  Maybe not, but pretty likely yes.

In my case here, I gave up on the in-kernel driver for the remote on
my card, and simply rewrote it to work correctly (again).
Most mythtv users probably don't see that as an option, though.  :)

Cheers