[mythtv-users] Using devinput but devinput lircd.conf file does not contain all my remote buttons on Harmony One

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 6 00:55:26 UTC 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> You don't need the debug part anymore. Add a shell script at
>> /etc/sysconfig/modules/ir.modules where the contents are simply:
>>
>> ----8<----
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> /sbin/modprobe ir-kbd-i2c
>> ----8<----
>>
>> That'll make sure ir-kbd-i2c gets auto-loaded early on in boot.
>>

> Done.  Should I remove /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules, as it is
> now obsolete and just contains this:
> #!/bin/bash
> /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c

Yep, that can go.

>>> I then need to load the keymap by doing this (I created a new keymap
>>> file called haupp2 so I could mess around with the non-original file):
>>> ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/haupp2
>>
>> Edit /etc/rc_maps.cfg, and add a line like so:
>>
>> ir-kbd-i2c rc-rc5-tv haupp2
>>
>> There's actually half-decent documentation in the config file. At least,
>> there is in the one in the git tree right now... Basically, you can
>> where driver is the kernel driver (ir-kbd-i2c in this case), default
>> keytable name is the driver's, well, default keytable name (as shown
>> in ir-keytable output, before any other keytable has been pushed in),
>> and file is the name of the keymap in /etc/rc_keymaps/ that you want
>> to be loaded into the kernel for your driver/keytable name pair. You
>> can also have wildcards for either of those, so actually, this would
>> probably work too:
>>
>> * * haup2
>>
>> I'm not actually sure what order directives in there are parsed, but
>> I don't see one for ir-kbd-i2c or that keymap, so yeah, should work...
>>

> I did it without the wildcards using the syntax you first gave
> (ir-kbd-i2c rc-rc5-tv haupp2).  That and the shell script from above
> autoloads the module and keymap on reboot, so everything is working as
> expected now.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

Cool, good to hear. I swear it'll be less painful in the future... ;)

>>> At any event, it works well now and I am able to live with manually
>>> automatically start.
>>>
>>> Also, do I need to edit my lirc.conf file in modprobe.conf.d to remove
>>> i2c stuff?  This is currently in there:
>>>
>>> #lirc_module_configuration
>>> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
>>
>> That hasn't done anything at all for you since Fedora 10 or earlier, if
>> I'm thinking clearly. The lirc patches in Fedora have been using miscdev
>> rather than a hard-coded char major of 61 for a few years now. Its 2x as
>> useless now that you're using ir-kbd-i2c though. ;)
>>

> Can I safely delete the lirc.conf file then?

I read that as lircd.conf at first, and was going to cry a bit, but you're
talking about the file in /etc/modprobe.d/. Yes, that can go away. :)

> Again, thanks for your help and patience on this.  I never would have
> figured out any of this without the assistance!

Thanks for bearing with me. Quite a bit of change has been happening, and
(almost?) all for the good, but getting from where we were to where we're
going has been an adventure...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com