[mythtv-users] IR transmitter help

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Jul 9 18:25:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:27 PM, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The IR emitter is connected to the receiver with a 3.5 mm jack.  I
>> tried swapping the emitter with the one from my old TiVo, which has
>> the same size jack, but when I do that I don't see it blinking either
>> visibly or in the IR (on a digital camera display).
>
> I'd guess there's a 50% chance that the polarity of that jack is the
> other way round, even if the voltage is correct.

I ended up buying a new mceusb transceiver.  It's a similar unit from
HP also with a detachable IR LED.  The new unit seems to work fine as
a receiver (irw prints all of the button presses on my remote), but I
get nothing at all when I try to send.  If I plug the new IR LED into
the older transceiver, then it works as the old one did (it blinks
visibly but there's no response from the cable box).  I'm still at a
loss here.

Eric