[mythtv-users] Suggested bitrate for transcoding HD Mpeg 2 to Mpeg 4

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Jul 12 18:32:12 UTC 2011

> Just one initial observation as I do some tests...instead of a
> thumbnail of a frame from the show, the thumbnail is just grey.

Do you mean it's a solid gray block? I was just digging in the
thumbnail code today (working on something else and trying to figure
out an issue with thumbnail generation), and I recall seeing the code
that generates that. The comment just before the code says:

// This is probably an audio file, just return a grey frame.

and it's triggered when it thinks the width or height is <= 0 pixels.

That doesn't solve your problem, but maybe it's a clue to what's
wrong. I guess it is either not seeing or misidentifying the video
track. Beyond that, I can't say anything. My extend of knowledge about
the preview generation is the hour or so I spent looking at the code
today, and nothing more.

--
Ron Frazier