[mythtv-users] Way OT: High-speed Data Service Delivery

Jason Long jlong at jasonlong.com
Tue Jul 12 21:00:29 UTC 2011

Apologies to the list for dragging this out..

On 7/11/11 10:52 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

Well, you eliminated a chunk of my original message which makes it look
like I said something that I didn't, and prefaced your email based on
that. In context, I said fiber from LEC to prem via OCx, terminating to
a MUX, where services could be provisioned and handed off to customers..
A DS3  is handed off via copper coax (not fiber). I never implied
pulling copper from LEC to customer.. and if you have 10baseT, it's not
a DS3 anymore.

My point though is that fiber doesn't magically make a DS3 capable of
serializing bits onto a wire any faster.. Further to my point is that
since fiber propagates bits at ~speed of light, the delay introduced is
negligible when calculating an answer to the question "How long to
transfer CentOS over a DS3".

To answer the question, based on serialization delay alone, for a DS3
w/out any L2-L7 protocol overhead, it would take ~17 minutes to transfer
CentOS 5.42G ISOs. After adding in protocol overhead for IP and TCP it
would take another 30 seconds. Then there is TCP slow start and sliding
windows to account for, packet loss, re-transmissions, and L2 framing
overhead, application layer overhead, queuing delays and current circuit
utilization. The fact that fiber is even involved is *largely*
insignificant for calculating a sufficiently accurate answer to the
question.

5.42G (CentOS) = 5,819,680,686 bytes = 46,557,445,489 bits / 44,540,000
bits/s (DS3) = 1045 sec / 60 sec = 17 minutes
5,819,680,686 bytes (CentOS) / 1500 byte MSS = ~3,879,787 packets * (20B
IP + 20B TCP) = 155,191,480 bytes = 1,241,531,840 bits / DS3 = 27 seconds

Back to mythtv discuss?

Jason