[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 12:39:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> > They are taking orders Monday and shipping by the end of July.
> > Since they partnered with SiliconDust on this, is there any chance this
> will
> > be supported in MythTV?
> >
> http://hd.engadget.com/2009/09/12/hauppauge-to-expand-its-offerings-to-include-a-cablecard-tuner/
>

> You linked to an old article (2009). Here's something more recent:
>
> http://hd.engadget.com/2011/07/13/hauppauge-usb-cablecard-tuner-announced-on-facebook-ships-later/
>
> It appears to be a 2 tuner model. That makes the game sort of
> interesting. If you ONLY want 2 tuners, then it's not a bad deal. If
> you would be thinking about buying 2 of these, you'd probably be
> better off with a Ceton card. It's only $40 more, and you'd easily
> save that in about a year by having to only rent 1 cablecard for the
> Ceton, vs renting 2 for the Hauppauges. The HDHR Prime is in an
> interesting position. It costs almost as much as a Ceton or 2 of
> these, and would only get you 3 tuners vs 4. Its network attached
> design seems to be its only big selling point anymore, as the lower
> price on the Ceton and now this device are sort of chipping away at
> the Prime's market from both ends.
>

> --
> Ron Frazier

My mistake.  It was late, and I copied the address from the wrong tab.
Oops!

I am thinking of another MythTV friend who would definitely consider a dual
tuner device.  For me, two tuners probably will not be enough.  I would
prefer four, but the supported three-tuner PRIME may have to do for now.
Since I don't own any CableCard tuner yet, everything is still an option.

The PRIME will probably win out for me because it replaces $30/month in
rental fees.  This means that every month the other devices are not
supported, $30 would be added to their cost.  Any way it shakes out, I am
EXTREMELY excited to see multiple CableCard devices.  I am also very
grateful to the devs for working on support for them!

-Tom