[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:56:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we get an update on the rewrite?  What features were "accepted"
> and which will make it into .25?
>
> I'm particularly interested in the coverflow feature, Have some
> construction going on at our house and I've been forced to the stone
> age of paging through my many CD binders and using a boombox.  Have to
> say that choosing music in that manner allowed me to find a lot of
> good music that I haven't listen to in a long time.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

I don't believe there is any "rewrite" currently going on other than
possibly to convert to MythUI(?), at least according to what I've seen
in the the commits mailing list.

There are so many ideas as to how this could be done, everyone has
their preferred way of doing things, etc. I think what will end up
happening is the dev's will just create a few widgets to their liking
that theme developers can use to lay out the MythMusic interface and
slowly over time more and more widgets will be added to the available
pool of MythMusic widgets. I'm going to guess that at a minimum we'll
see widgets to replace (though probably a bit more enhanced/feature
rich) the existing elements, and perhaps a few more on top of that to
the dev's discretion, at first.

That's the nice thing about the new MythUI system, it's all in the
widgets and they can be created and interact with each other in the
interface.

Of course, on the back end of the Music system there are all sorts of
ideas presented as well, USB device interaction for music players,
Squeezebox style features (or even full squeezebox integration), etc.
Which we may or may not see right away but hopefully the rewrite will
leave things in a better state for future addition.

I think the big thing at this point is that the dev's have other more
pressing concerns with 0.25 at the moment, so we'll have to live with
the current interface for now, which while not ideal, at least works,
and with JYA's audio enhancements, also now supports higher encoding
qualities (24/96 and the like) which is an excellent improvement for
those with HDMI connected systems and are audiophiles like myself...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!