[mythtv-users] Way OT: High-speed Data Service Delivery

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:14:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
> On 2011-07-12 8:45 AM, James Oltman wrote:
>>
>> Just make sure you're getting what you pay for!  My company payed Comcast a LOT of money to run fiber directly to our main office.  We're supposed to be getting 50Mbos synchronous.  We are getting a little less than half that.  The only way I knew how to test was to use bittorrent to grab ubuntu ISOs and usenet to grab more free isos.  And some might be thinking, "Well no kidding!  It's Comcast Business."  Comcast fiber is a different department than their business department.  And I have to say, we have not had ANY unscheduled outages.  They have had stupendous uptime.  Now if only they could give me the bandwidth I payed for...
>
> I'm on ComCast Biz -- so far, they've been delivering the promised bandwidths. When I test, I'm getting about 38down/24up.
>
> When I was downloading my CentOS6 ISO's yesterday, after about 20min, you could see the rate throttling kicking in and limiting to a little above my "paid for" rate.
>
> I had a tap auditor that was supposed disconnect the house behind me disconnect me instead. It was fixed the same day. (and the second wrong disconnect my technician had to undo that day.)
>
>  -Ben
>
> p.s. for comparison: In 1995-1996 when I worked for a software startup in Downtown Chicago, we got out Class-C IP's and T1 (1.544Mb/s for those of you who may not know) and it was about $2000/mnth

Ben, if it's not intrusive, what does Comcast "Business" charge for
the internet package you have? We have their standard home package and
pay $45/mo but I live with 4 other people and sometimes we wish we had
faster internet though I can never get a price out of them without
actually ordering...

thanks!

--
Steve