[mythtv-users] Best distro for mythtv

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 17:10:39 UTC 2011

> I have been using gentoo as my distro for 6 years. Seems like it takes forever for mythtv package to be released. I was wondering if there is a distro that's more aggressive in releasing mythtv packages?
>
> Thanks for anybody's time

I believe gentoo is a good choice for packages like Mythtv that change
often because of its build from source nature and also not being
locked into old packages for the dependencies or locked into old
kernels. I have used mythtv since 2003 with gentoo and I have never
had a problem with packages. However with that said its been several
years since I have cared about the official in portage packages. I
originally rolled my own updates basically by renaming the ebuilds
when the code was svn based. I had those in my own svn overlay that I
eventually migrated to github and then at some later point I migrated
to a different git overlay that MarcT has. I am a contributor on that
overlay but I rarely do so since it works most of the time I upgrade.

John