[mythtv-users] Best distro for mythtv

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 17:41:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 7/14/2011 13:10, John Drescher wrote:
>>> I have been using gentoo as my distro for 6 years. Seems like it takes forever for mythtv package to be released. I was wondering if there is a distro that's more aggressive in releasing mythtv packages?
>> I had those in my own svn overlay that I eventually migrated to github and then at some later point I migrated to a different git overlay that MarcT has. I am a contributor on that overlay but I rarely do so since it works most of the time I upgrade.
>
> The problem I've always had with Marc's builds is that they have no
> version.  You're always just reinstalling version 9999, so you can never
> just let MythTV get picked up by a world update.  If you want to change
> version, you have to edit your make.conf, rather than the proper method
> of altering your ebuild.  It just seems like a messy way of doing things.

After doing this both ways I actually like it this way better since I
upgrade MythTV a lot less than upgrading world and I really only want
MythTV to be upgraded when I know I will have enough time to test
(before the scheduled weekday programing). As for versioned ebuilds, I
do not really miss that because I run quick-pkg before an upgrade so
if anything goes wrong in my testing I just revert to the packaged
versions and call it a day..

John