[mythtv-users] Big mythmusic scan problem

The GUIGuy linux at finalfiler.com
Fri Jul 15 07:27:54 UTC 2011

I've exhausted the 'net and other mythtv forums to find a solution to my
problem and have now ended up here:

I am using mythbuntu 11.04 and mythtv 0.24 combined backend/ frontend .

Music scanning never finishes; the music scan is reading in literally
10s of thousands of directory names, but none are circular references.
It reads these into the music_directories table of the mythconverge db.
It seems to me it is reading the complete directory tree starting at /

I have isolated the frontend/ backend PC so at least it is not scouring
all over the network, removed all none essential mounts and as much as I
can eliminated any chance of rogue symbolic links.

If I then go to Utilities/ Setup > Setup > Media Settings > Music
Settings, mythtv immediately starts "Looking for music files" and begins
reading the directory tree into  the "music_directories table". This it
will continue do do for hours. Usually after a few hours I give up and
kill the task,

If I go to play music, it does the same.

If I use "Music Tools" > Scan for new music, nothing happens.

I've dropped the music tables and recreated them by a reboot and restart.

Unfortunately I don't have a database back up that pre-dates the
problem, so a restore wouldn't help. My money was on a circular link but
I can't find it. In any case, the data being read into music_directories
is not repeating.

Any ideas, short of a fresh install?

Thanks