[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Tue Jul 19 13:28:09 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 02:18 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> In MythTV, all settings are indexed against the machine hostname in the
> database.  When MythWeb scans for accessible frontends, it looks up the
> port and hostname for any frontend listed as having the network control
> port active.  It then relies on a functional resolving framework to be
> available on your system to find the host.
>
> Backends, on the other hand, are connected using the IP.  When frontends
> or MythWeb want to connect, they look up the address for that hostname
> through the database, rather than relying on the host's resolving
> capability.  He is suggesting you patch MythWeb to use that address when
> available, and then run mythtv-setup on each frontend to define that IP as
> if you were going to run a backend.

Ah, thanks for the explanation!
So the frontends can have dynamic IPs if they can be resolved somehow in
the network, e.g. from bind9.
And the backends do always have to have static IPs.

If I understand you correct you want me to patch mythweb that it looks
in the mysql database to resolve the frontend IP adresses?

But I still don't understand how I could run mythtv-setup on the
frontend since there's no mythtv-setup on my frontends?
I must understand it wrong that I have to set my frontends to
backend/frontend combos?

Sorry for my slow understanding.

Cheers