[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 17:15:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2011 11:54 AM, "Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> snip
>

>> CableCard, is capture the mpeg stream for any channels Comcast has set
>> to copy-freely in DRM scheme used by the cable companies. for Comcast
>> this is almost all the basic cable channels and some others. I find
>> that all but Comedy Central HD works for me, and others seemingly have
>> the same experience. That said, you may not get all the channels your
>> looking to record this way. Most will keep a cable box with an HDPVR
>> or as you have a PVR-500, for the channels that don't work with one of
>> the CableCard devices.
>>

> Any way to predetermine what I will/won't get or do I just have to decide if
> I feel lucky? In particular, I'm interested in Syfy & History Channels which
> I suspect/fear might be "protected".
>
> Craig.

my experience with Comcast is both are copy free.

If you tune to the channel you want to check, and go into the diag
mode for that box (generally turn it off and press the menu button)
one of the options (d11 iirc on the Motorola boxes) will show you the
current "5C" status for the channel it is tuned to. it should say
something like "5C = 0" (zero).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!