[mythtv-users] High analog recording failure rate

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 19 18:45:31 UTC 2011

<fixed top posting>

On 07/19/2011 01:37 PM, Gerald Schepens wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 11:34 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Eh? A PVR-250 and a PVR-350 each have one tuner. Only a PVR-500 has a dual tuner
>>> setup.
>> Perhaps he has multiple inputs configured on one of them (and really
>> means "total of 3 inputs" instead of "total of 3 cards").  If so, see
>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9866 , Gerald, and specifically,
>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9866#comment:1 and
>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9866#comment:3 .
> I read the attached tip.  I took this to mean I should set up recording
> groups on a per-tuner basis, which I interpreted should result in a
> group for the 350, and (here I am less sure of myself) two other groups
> for the 500 which has two tuners.  I still get a fairly high failure
> rate of recordings although I feel from my small sample size that it may
> be a smaller proportion of the total than before.
>
> Still, I'm not entirely sure that tip applied to my situation because
> the mistuned recordings (if that's exactly what's going on) are messed
> up from beginning to end, and the tip appeared to be about keeping a
> second recording from messing the tuner up during a recording in
> progress.

Ah, so you have a PVR-500 and not a PVR-250, as you said in your
original post.  The PVR-500 /does/ have 2 tuners/encoders, so it sounds
like you should not be using input groups (assuming you've configured
only one input per card).

You did set up the PVR-500 as 2 separate capture cards, right--you
didn't just connect a video source to Tuner 0 and Tuner 1 on the same
card or something like that?  In mythtv-setup, you should see 3 capture
cards and in the Input Connections area, you should have one input
connected on each of the 3 cards.

Mike