[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Wed Jul 20 10:08:01 UTC 2011

On Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 11:45:45AM +0200, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> My dhcpd.conf already contains all my frontends and assigns them static IPs.
> So I'll just have to make it possible that my hostnames can be resolved
> and mythweb will be able to connect to all my frontends?

That's the simplest option, yes.

> It works now when I write the frontend machines into /etc/hosts from the
> backend machine.
>
> But I'd like to be able to configure a new machine in the dhcpd.conf and
> then witchcraft is used to make the resolving in the LAN.
> I think the keyword here is dynamic dns which is described here:
> http://www.semicomplete.com/articles/dynamic-dns-with-dhcp/

It's a little tricky to set up, yes. Is there any reason you're using
DHCP for these rather than using normal static IP addressing though? If
you're going to fix DHCP assignation via MAC addresses then it doesn't
seem any more convenient than static addresses, but with the downside
that you're dependent on the DHCP server.

> But wouldn't it be easier and more logical to solve my hostname
> resolving problem?

Far simpler, yes. Using the database for name resolution seems akin to
using a screwdriver as a hammer, just because it's handy. A DNS server
is the proper tool for name resolution - you mentioned using bind9
already, so just add the static addresses and frontend names to the zone
files.

Cheers,
    Robin
--