[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:26:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> > I am running Mythbuntu 11.04 with .24-fixes, and have never compiled
> MythTV.
> >  I am not sure what the steps would be.  git, make, make install?
>  Probably
> > not that easy.
>
> I've never used mythbuntu, much less done a custom build on it. I did
> some brief looking around, and it appears that a lot of it is handled
> for you. Here is the basic overview I got from here:
>
> 1) apt-get build-dep mythtv
> 2) apt-get source mythtv
> 3) apt-get install devscripts
> 4) dch -i (put some comments in about what you changed. In the version
> number, use the old version number plus a +local1 or something
> similar. This will make sure that you're version is marked newer, but
> that if an even "newer" version came out, you can still get it.
> 5) Try to apply the patch. If it applies cleanly, unapply it and put
> it in debian/patches.
> 6) Update the debian/patches/00list to include the patch
> 7) debuild
> 8) You should get some binaries out.
>
> Is it really this simple? I don't know. If you'd like, I could try and
> give it a shot on my dev box and see how it works. I'm assuming it
> won't be too much work for me to do a very basic install of Mythbuntu,
> and that I can just get the installer started, let it do its thing,
> and then do the patching. I've already taken my Ceton card out of my
> dev box and put it in my production system, so I won't be able to do a
> full test, but I can compile in the code and see if I get the new code
> in mythtv-setup and get the appropriate errors in the backend log
> about not being able to connect to the card.
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

If you can fit it in, that would be great.  One thing I don't have is time
to tinker.  My wife and three kids make sure of that.  That is why I use
Mythbuntu.  Even though I am a programmer, anything making this more turn
key is appreciated.  Should we move this to another thread for the sake of
others trying to find this info or avoid it.

Tom