[mythtv-users] alsa 1.0.24 ppa for *buntu

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Wed Jul 20 13:28:32 UTC 2011

 On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 05:47:47 -0400, Chris Kapp <chris.kapp at gmail.com>
 wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I am trying to help someone on the mythbuntu forums get audio over
>>> hdmi working on a nvidia 430 card.
>>>
>>> I see lots of references to getting the required alsa packages from
>>> pps, but googling alsa ppa gives lots of different options.
>>>
>>> Which is the best one from a stability point of view for getting
>>> the
>>> required alsa packages?
>>>

>> Oh and bonus points for exactly which packages need installing...
>>
>> He has 10.10 base system.
>>
> Nick,
> I am currently on Maverick.  I have the daily build  ppa:
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa/ubuntu main
>
> I have loaded the package:
> linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.35-28-generic
> That should match the version of your kernel.
>
> My Nvidia card required the audio device of
> ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3
>
> Chris.

 A little more documentation indicates how to get the PPA and the also
 driver modules package FOR YOUR KERNEL!
 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/InstallingLinuxAlsaDriverModules

 In reference to getting HDMI on other cards, generally a way to go
 about it is to launch VLC or some other audio player with good audio
 config tools.

 (remember to use alsamixer to ensure the digital output devices are not
 muted)

 Generally I start an .MP3 in VLC and then jump into the VLC audio
 control panel, select the ALSA output (under Advanced) and then switch
 between the various audio card/device combos until the sound is
 available.  then you make note of the card+device combo.  You should be
 able to select/configure for that distinct combination in the Myth audio
 setup (no need to mess around with .asoundrc or other alsa config files)

 I'm sure some more seasoned vets will advocate simpler ways using
 speaker-test to find the right HDMI audio output combo, but this works
 for me.

 In deference to JYA's efforts, I still have never gotten Myth 0.23-0.24
 to pickup a default configged device for HDMI audio, I've always had to
 manually config.

 Cheers.