[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:10:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> I have Comcast and I discovered Comedy Central HD has CCI = 0x02.  Obviously that's
>> not copy freely and I know from experience that I can't record to MythTV from Comedy
>> Central HD so that does fit.
>
> That's a shame. 0x02 is "Copy Once", which means Windows Media Center
> is the only software that can record that channel. It makes no sense
> that they would set it that way. Most comcast users seem to report
> that all the non-premium channels are 0x00 (Copy Freely). I would
> imagine that Comcast's licensing agreements with the stations are done
> on a company wide basis rather than each individual region negotiating
> their own contracts. Based on this assumption, there would be no legal
> reason for any Comcast franchise to mark it as anything but Copy
> Freely. So either they are doing it out of an "abundance of caution"
> (ie: they're too lazy to bother figuring out what the legitimate
> setting should be, so they play it safe) or for malicious reasons (ie:
> they want you to pay them more money, so they sabotage your ability to
> use your own DVR). People like us aren't a very big market segment, so
> I think the lazy explanation is more likely.
>
> If you are in Michigan, Illinois, or Ohio, see if WOW has cable
> service in your market. Their company wide stance is currently to mark
> everything as copy freely except for premium & ppv channels.
>

>> Does anyone have any suggestions on where to read more about the values I might see in the CCI Flag field?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
>
> Although there are 6 codes listed there, I think in practice you
> likely won't see anything but 0x00, 0x02, and 0x03 (Copy
> Freely/Once/Never).

from what I understand, the CCI is sent as part of the broadcast that
the cable companies receive from the channel directly and they just
pass it on. this was an issue "back in the day" because Comcast,
amongst others, would ignore that signal and apply their own, so each
region would have it's own settings. From what I remember reading,
Comcast finally wised up and set their hardware to "pass" the code on
as they received it, which is when the entire Comcast coverage area
became the same. When Time Warner bought the cable company that serves
my parents they went from having everything as copy freely to the now
infamous issues Time Warner has.

I'm very interested to see what happens with the Prime/Ceton and Time
Warner as I'm hoping my parents can use one with a cable card...

$219 for the Ceton card! I have already ordered a Prime, but I may
need one of these instead and give the Prime to my parents...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!