[mythtv-users] I got my Ceton InfiniTV 4 working in 0.24-fixes (compiled with custom code)

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:39:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> > But in any case, I've got my cable card up and running in my Ceton now,
> so
> > Ron - I'd also be very interested in trying out your custom build to see
> if
> > I can get it working in MythTV.
>

> Just to be clear, I'll be providing custom code (so you can patch and
> build it yourself), not a custom precompiled build (not sure what
> would be involved in doing that).
>
> I should have it available in the next few days. As far as I can tell,
> everything is working fine. The last 2 problems I was aware of seem to
> be solved. One (the occasional tuning failures) was fixed with code
> changes, and the other (generating bad previews) appears to have been
> the result of a bug in some system library, as it went away as soon as
> I upgraded to debian 6.0.2.1. Earlier this week, I set the system to
> record 80 programs over the course of 12 hours and it completed
> without any problems. Right now I'm rebuilding/upgrading my production
> system (it was still running 0.22, on an older version of 32-bit
> debian). Once that's all set and I can test it out a bit more, I'll
> post the code and instructions.
>
> --
> Ron Frazier

Ron,

I figure that I would bring this conversation over to a more appropriate
thread.  I hope you don't mind.

Tom Bongiorno wrote:
"I am running Mythbuntu 11.04 with .24-fixes, and have never compiled
MythTV.  I am not sure what the steps would be.  git, make, make install?
 Probably not that easy.  I am also a little fuzzy on the configuration of
the card outside of MythTV.  Like assigning an IP address and accessing the
card's web server from another box."

Ron Frazier wrote:
"I've never used mythbuntu, much less done a custom build on it. I did
some brief looking around, and it appears that a lot of it is handled
for you. Here is the basic overview I got from here:

1) apt-get build-dep mythtv
2) apt-get source mythtv
3) apt-get install devscripts
4) dch -i (put some comments in about what you changed. In the version
number, use the old version number plus a +local1 or something
similar. This will make sure that you're version is marked newer, but
that if an even "newer" version came out, you can still get it.
5) Try to apply the patch. If it applies cleanly, unapply it and put
it in debian/patches.
6) Update the debian/patches/00list to include the patch
7) debuild
8) You should get some binaries out.

Is it really this simple? I don't know. If you'd like, I could try and
give it a shot on my dev box and see how it works. I'm assuming it
won't be too much work for me to do a very basic install of Mythbuntu,
and that I can just get the installer started, let it do its thing,
and then do the patching. I've already taken my Ceton card out of my
dev box and put it in my production system, so I won't be able to do a
full test, but I can compile in the code and see if I get the new code
in mythtv-setup and get the appropriate errors in the backend log
about not being able to connect to the card."

Tom Bongiorno wrote:
"If you can fit it in, that would be great.  One thing I don't have is time
to tinker.  My wife and three kids make sure of that.  That is why I use
Mythbuntu.  Even though I am a programmer, anything making this more turn
key is appreciated.  Should we move this to another thread for the sake of
others trying to find this info or avoid it."

-Tom