[mythtv-users] Support for WinTV-DCR-2650?

James virtue at rocketmonkeys.com
Thu Jul 21 19:56:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> The DCR-2650 appears as a USB attached network device and will work
> with the libhdhomerun/HDHomeRun tuner type included in MythTV.  No
> further driver work is necessary.

Thanks for the answer!  I'm curious about the techie details - does
this appear like a NIC to the PC?  So using this is more like using a
modem than a normal TV tuner chip?  I also imagine this means there
are (more or less) standard commands, like the old modem "AT"
commands.  Is that (basically, vaguely) right?

Does this actually use ethernet/ip layers like a normal network card
would?  It's funny that the manufacturer's are going this route -
maybe it has something to do with the cablecard certification?  (ie.
not exposing too much of the inner workings in software, so the
drivers have to be very thin).

Thanks!