[mythtv-users] Hard-drive spindown when idle?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jul 22 00:44:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:57:27 +1000, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
> On 22 July 2011 00:28, Raymond Wagner  wrote:
>  On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:24:33 -0400, John Drescher
>  wrote:
>  >> I'm interested in setting it up because I need access to my system
>  >> throughout the day for business remotely, but not the media which is
> on
>  >> the
>  >> bigger disks, so figure I might as well set them to spin down being
>  idle.
>  >> Thanks for any help
>  >
>  > The biggest problem with spindown in mythtv is getting mythtv to stop
>  > looking at drives periodically. Unless something changed recently one
>  > requirement was to disable the upnp server in mythtv.
>
>  The UPnP server defaults to scanning for new video content every 30
>  minutes.  This has been removed in upcoming 0.25.  In 0.24, you either
> need to increase the timeout, or disable UPNP on the command line.
>
> Has UPNP finally gone into storage groups?

Video access in the UPnP server now uses MythVideo content, relying on the
content scanners in the frontend or backend to keep it up to date.  The old
UPnP scanner that only scanned the local folder definitions on that host,
and stored a list of content in its own table, has been removed.