[mythtv-users] AutoExpire: Oldest Show First, yet newly recorded shows still expire...

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 16:21:42 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 07/22/2011 03:25 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> I /thought/ shows that were recorded with the "Keep X episodes" option
>>> and "Record new, delete old" would actually delete the old off the
>>> disk--not just stick it in the Deleted recording group.
>>
>> Been reading the code since I wrote this, and I was right.  Anything
>> that's auto-expired--Live TV, "old deleted" shows, episodes over max,
>> recordings--is removed from disk and none is ever put in the Deleted
>> recording group.
>>
>> I can't see any possible way for a show to be expired to the Deleted
>> recording group, so we really need those -v file logs to see what's
>> happening.  And that means, if auto-expire is what's putting things in
>> your Deleted recording group, something very major is messed up, somewhere.
>>
>> Mike
>
> ok, I just got the backend restarted with those log settings working
> (looots of autoexpire info showing now...)
>
> I also just checked the Deleted group. One recording, a new episode of
> a show that aired Friday night was put into the Deleted group almost
> immediately, then a few hours later the episode had a repeat airing
> and Myth recorded that, then it put *that* recording of the episode
> into the Deleted group...
>
> anyway, now that the log is showing the proper info I should be able
> to get you useful info.
>
> thanks!
> --
> Steve

I have not been following this thread, so I apologize if this has
already been discussed...

When you set up a recording rule, one of your options is to choose
which "Recording Group" that show will be put in.  For example, I have
a "Documentary" recording group.  One time, I accidentally selected
the "Deleted" recording group by mistake.

The result is, all those recording where immediately put in to the
"Deleted" recording group, so Myth thought they had been deleted, and
quite happily recorded the shows again, and immediately "deleted" them
again!

Moral of the story:  Make sure you have not accidentally told myth to
place your recordings in the "Deleted" recording group.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?