[mythtv-users] Regarding ticket 8969

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jul 23 23:21:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 01:53:56 +0300, Yianni Vidalis
<yiannividalis at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am sorry to see it got locked, although I understand the strict
> rule the developers have to apply. I guess Patrick at ... was frustrated
> because, like me, he cannot use his mythtv system to watch tv or record
> any analog signal.

It's spelled out in the ticket howto, those kinds of posts do nothing but
clutter up trac.  Often times when we call people on it, they either
apologize (on trac), or complain about the policy (on trac), thus adding
more clutter, so it works best to preemptively lock the ticket.  The proper
place for discussion of such things is on the mailing lists.

> Personally, I have to wait for the digital switch over
> which will take place probably next year - according to plan!!!
> I realise we are a very small minority now, we analog users.

It's not analog users.  There are plenty of users and developers using
hardware encoders such as IVTV cards and the HDPVR, either for recording of
analog television, or analog capture from digital cable/satellite boxes.
It's specifically analog framegrabbers, which requires MythTV to capture
audio and video from separate inputs, encode them in real time, and
multiplex them together properly handling sync.  It's a complex chunk of
code, and more importantly, it's a complex setup for the users, which is
why most don't use them in favor of hardware encoder cards.

> And with no
> developers using this system things don't look promising. Would it help
> if I posted a small recording somewhere for some developer to download
> and investigate further, or is it just a lost cause?

Actually, having locked the ticket, I read through the attached log and
found two issues. Not wanting to promote the behavior of the 'bumper', I
was going to email you directly about it, but never got around to it.
First, the logs mentioned that MythTV had suspended Pulseaudio, which meant
Pulseaudio was running in the first place.  If you have Pulseaudio running
on your backend as well, that could be causing problems with recordings, as
it places itself between MythTV and the hardware.  Second, that is a
frontend log.  Older recordings have sound, which means the frontend and
playback works fine and this is a recording issue.  That means we need
backend logs.  If you have a backend log to attach, I can unlock the ticket
for that.