[mythtv-users] You Haven't Scheduled Any Programs to be Recorded

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 24 21:54:56 UTC 2011

On 07/24/2011 05:39 PM, Will Twomey wrote:
>> In that case, check:
>>
>> a) that the drive containing your database is not full
>> b) That your database does not have any crashed tables.
>> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Periodic_Maintenance#Optimize_the_Database)
> a)  We're good there
>
> /dev/sda1             915G  260G  608G  30% /
>
> b) Ran optimize_mythdb.pl with no change

Have your devices moved around or are they not properly loaded.  This
behavior sounds a /lot/ like MythTV is working correctly, but you have
no valid card inputs available on which to record the specified shows.

I'd recommend trying as a first step the capture card (and not the video
sources) portion of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .  If
that doesn't work, doing both the capture card and video sources portion
would likely fix the issue--but if you do the video sources portion,
you'll have to re-configure all your channels. (So make sure you back up
the database before doing either.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore )

> I'm wondering why mythtv would expect people to set up cron to run
> some of this stuff, instead of building such things into mythtv
> backend.
>
> End users shouldn't be expected to be running perl scripts (that you
> only find out about AFTER stuff breaks) or manually running
> mythfilldatabase.
>
> Mysql sure seems to be more trouble than it's worth for mythtv. xD

We haven't incorporated this into MythTV because the only thing worse
than making users have to run a Perl script every once in a while when
their MySQL server is shut down improperly (or just in case) is
automatically performing maintenance at exactly the wrong time--when the
power fails or whatever--and causing them to lose an entire table (or
multiple) when the system boots back up.

We do plan to do automatic maintenance, but to make it as safe as
possible, we have to have more control over the database--specifically,
we need to keep all the other backends and frontends and 3rd party
clients and ... from accessing the database.  This particular change
probably won't be in place until we've moved to embedded MySQL (which
will require a major refactoring of a huge part of MythTV--so don't
expect it soon).

Mike