[mythtv-users] DVB tuner not working in Xen PV guest

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 06:52:12 UTC 2011

Raymond Wagner wrote:

>Is there any compelling reason to not run MythTV directly on the host?

For me, yes - the fact that I'll also be running several other VMs
running different services and I want to keep the separation that
allows me to tinker to my hearts content without breaking anything
else.

And no I don't wish to get into the "debate" over Xen vs chroot jails vs ... !

My current MythTV setup (0.21) has run like this for several years,
with the only problem I can see being down to (I think) disk I/O - I
have everything on one disk and I do seem to have some problems with
recordings made when the setup as a whole is busy*. In the new setup
I'm able to give MythTV a complete disk (or 2) of it's own to store
recordings on.
When I've got this working and migrated all the other stuff off the
old machine, I'll scrub that clean and add it as a slave backend.

* One specific situation being when it's recording 2 programs and
commflagging another.

--
Simon Hobson