[mythtv-users] Problems installing second capture card - xmltv id issues?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jul 25 15:53:14 UTC 2011

On 25/07/11 15:57, John Reid wrote:
> On 25/07/11 14:56, David Watkins wrote:
>>> I get pixellated and broken up playback,
>> That doesn't sound like a configuration problem.
>>

>> Presumably you've rearranged your antenna inputs to accommodate the new tuner?
>>
>> Any chance you have a bad splitter, bad lead or bad connection?
>>
>> .. or maybe, by splitting the input, the signal to the 2200 has gone
>> below the threshold for good reception?
> Yes I've had to put another splitter on the cable. When I scan the
> channels, I get a signal/noise ratio reported. Is this useful to me in
> this regard? Also there's some info about signal strength when tuning
> LiveTV. Are there any rules of thumb on what values I should expect or
> require there? If I'm splitting the lead from the rooftop aerial 4 times
> is there a preferred way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> John.

If this is a signal-strength problem, not a config issue, and you mean
that you need to feed 4 coax sockets, the usual way would be to split
once and then split once again - three devices altogether.  It might
help to install a booster before the first splitter, and if conditions
are marginal the length of cable between antenna/aerial and booster
should be kept short. Some boosters have multiple outputs, of course.

John P