[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Jul 25 17:53:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What does activation have to do with the OS?

As far as I know, nothing. However, as I previously stated, I didn't
have any luck getting it authorized until I put it in my Windows box.
That may have just been coincidental. As I also previously mentioned,
I had changed the Ceton's IP address before I got my cablecard.
Although using the different IP worked perfectly fine both before I
got my cablecard  (in QAM mode) and after I got the cable card finally
authorized, perhaps there is some bug or undocumented "feature" that
prevents the pairing from completing when there is an alternate IP
set. Or maybe it is a bug that prevents the pairing from completing
under linux. Or maybe my cable company was just having issues with
their system and they didn't realize it. I have no idea exactly what
the cause was (since I have to way to try to replicate this). All I
provided was a single data point with my experiences. If someone can
try it and get it authorized in linux, then we'll know using windows
isn't the key.

--
Ron Frazier