[mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 27 21:14:55 UTC 2011

On Jul 23, 2011, at 1:27 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Jeff Cranmer <jeff at lotussevencars.com> wrote:
>> Previously, I used LIRC with only the mceusb
>
> You still need to use mceusb.
>
>> LIRC devices option set in
>> make.conf.  Now that driver is defunct,
>
> No, it isn't.
>
>> and there is a devinput driver which only half-replaces it.
>
> devinput doesn't replace mceusb at all.  devinput is for devices that
> present themselves as human interface devices.  mceusb is not (yet) a
> hid.

You're a bit off here. The devinput driver can be used with any device
that feeds key data to the system via the linux input layer. That actually
*does* include rc-core-based remote control receiver drivers, when using
in-kernel decoding. Its entirely possible to use an mceusb receiver with
lircd's devinput driver. Hell, you can even use a keyboard, a power button,
or a touchscreen device with the devinput driver (results may not be
optimal, but they're all native linux input layer devices).

>> The obvious question is 'what replaces the transmitter?'
>
> Nothing.
>
>>   Do I need to add another option to LIRC_DEVICES in make.conf to pull in the transmitter driver?
>
> I'm not  familiar with that aspect of lirc.

Its not an lirc thing, its a Gentoo thing.

>> Running the lirc daemon by hand, the messages were
>> lircd(devinput) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
>> accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
>> initializing /dev/lirc0
>> can't get exclusive access to events coming from the '/dev/lirc0' interface
>
> I should have been more clear.  You need to first shut down any other
> instance of lirc that might be running.  lircd should use the default
> driver, not devinput.

If tx is required, yes, you have to use the "default" driver, accessing
/dev/lirc0.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com