[mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

Marc Tousignant myrdhn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:03:05 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Jarod Wilson
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:15 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

On Jul 23, 2011, at 1:27 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Jeff Cranmer <jeff at lotussevencars.com>
wrote:
>> Previously, I used LIRC with only the mceusb
>
> You still need to use mceusb.
>
>> LIRC devices option set in
>> make.conf.  Now that driver is defunct,
>
> No, it isn't.
>
>> and there is a devinput driver which only half-replaces it.
>
> devinput doesn't replace mceusb at all.  devinput is for devices that
> present themselves as human interface devices.  mceusb is not (yet) a
> hid.

You're a bit off here. The devinput driver can be used with any device that
feeds key data to the system via the linux input layer. That actually
*does* include rc-core-based remote control receiver drivers, when using
in-kernel decoding. Its entirely possible to use an mceusb receiver with
lircd's devinput driver. Hell, you can even use a keyboard, a power button,
or a touchscreen device with the devinput driver (results may not be
optimal, but they're all native linux input layer devices).

>> The obvious question is 'what replaces the transmitter?'
>
> Nothing.
>
>>   Do I need to add another option to LIRC_DEVICES in make.conf to pull in
the transmitter driver?

> I'm not  familiar with that aspect of lirc.

Its not an lirc thing, its a Gentoo thing.

>> Running the lirc daemon by hand, the messages were
>> lircd(devinput) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd accepted new client
>> on /var/run/lirc/lircd initializing /dev/lirc0 can't get exclusive
>> access to events coming from the '/dev/lirc0' interface
>
> I should have been more clear.  You need to first shut down any other
> instance of lirc that might be running.  lircd should use the default
> driver, not devinput.

If tx is required, yes, you have to use the "default" driver, accessing
/dev/lirc0.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

I just went through this myself on Gentoo.
Lirc 0.9.0 has no mceusb anymore so you build the one from the kernel.
However, assuming that all you need is the mceusb driver is wrong.
Below you will find all the other kernel items I included as modules or a
part of my kernel (Gentoo sources 3.0.0).

CONFIG_RC_CORE=m
CONFIG_LIRC=m
CONFIG_RC_MAP=m
CONFIG_IR_RC5_DECODER=m
CONFIG_IR_RC6_DECODER=m
CONFIG_IR_RC5_SZ_DECODER=m
CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC=m
CONFIG_IR_ENE=m
CONFIG_IR_MCEUSB=m

CONFIG_STAGING=y
CONFIG_LIRC_STAGING=y

Yet there was still something missing, because I could load the driver, but
lircd would not connect to anything.
The solution for me was
LIRC_DEVICES="userspace"

I did not need devinput, which was good for me, because I head you had to
redo your lirc.conf using devinput.

Take this all with a grain of salt, as I'm not a lirc expert, but this is
what is working for me.

MarcT